Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Install updates then shut down - why?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    OrigamiCar

Afternoon all,

I'm here, trying to get a new TFS server setup properly and I've come across a wierdness in Windows that I don't understand. I'm using remote desktop to administer the server from my own desktop.
    My server has some updates applied to it and wants a reboot. If I go to the shutdown menu, I can see (among the other choices) 'Install Updates and then shut down'.
    Instead I chosse 'restart', but guess what, when the server comes up, it doesn't install the updates! Instead the shutdown menu still shows 'Install the updates and then shutdown'.

My question is why the flip isn't there a 'Install the updates and then reboot' option??!
    This is a server in my company datacenter, which fortunately for me is in the same building, but it does mean I have to physically walk upstairs to hit the power button to turn it back on again. What would people do if they didn't have physical access to the machine easily??

Now I think about it, I'm pretty sure I have seen similar behaviour with vista client desktops, where updates are applied, but you have to install updates then shut down - instead of just being able to reboot.

What am I missing here? Why is it done this way?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

it may be related with the power supply of the server, I think, try to do a simple restart and see if it works

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Yeah, this irks me on Vista. Normally the "off" button goes to sleep, except when there are updates. There it installs the updates and shuts down. Then when I go to wake the computer up I have to remember to instead hit the power button to turn it on (and wait).

What I'd prefer is that it install the updates, reboot, then go back to sleep by itself so that it's back the way I want it next time. Currently I do these steps manually if I see the update icon on the off button.

• User profile image
    Koogle

Hey I'm sure it takes MS  years of development and in house testing/ +noob testing to whittle down extra useful functionality and customization and quick option choices down to single solutions like 'Install the updates and then shutdown'.

adding an option like this 'Install the updates and then reboot' to the shutdown menu could have pushed the release date back weeks... and who knows what other issues and ramifications an option like that could cause.

Besides did you ever think that perhaps MS had so much hate feedback(if only people knew where to send it for maximum impact) about the sh/ty mind numbly stupid restart prompt after installing updates on xp.. cus disabling or editing the timer on that is soo well placed in an easily configurable place in like in the control panels under windows updates dialog and not like gpedit.msc burried in some misc location.   So  they came to the conclusion that people don't want to restart there computer at all after installing crappy updates..  perhaps they thought lets not provide any option like that anymore, see they learn from mistakes Tongue Out welcome to MS stoopid design.

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

Koogle said:

Hey I'm sure it takes MS  years of development and in house testing/ +noob testing to whittle down extra useful functionality and customization and quick option choices down to single solutions like 'Install the updates and then shutdown'.

adding an option like this 'Install the updates and then reboot' to the shutdown menu could have pushed the release date back weeks... and who knows what other issues and ramifications an option like that could cause.

Besides did you ever think that perhaps MS had so much hate feedback(if only people knew where to send it for maximum impact) about the sh/ty mind numbly stupid restart prompt after installing updates on xp.. cus disabling or editing the timer on that is soo well placed in an easily configurable place in like in the control panels under windows updates dialog and not like gpedit.msc burried in some misc location.   So  they came to the conclusion that people don't want to restart there computer at all after installing crappy updates..  perhaps they thought lets not provide any option like that anymore, see they learn from mistakes Tongue Out welcome to MS stoopid design.

Uhh, if you want to install the updates then reboot, just go to Windows Update and tell it to install the updates?

The install-then-shutdown option is there for those who want the machine powered off, but who don't care if it powers off immediately.  If you want to reboot, then you probably want it to be done rebooting ASAP.  Makes perfect sense to me anyway.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

BHpaddock said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    Uhh, if you want to install the updates then reboot, just go to Windows Update and tell it to install the updates?

The install-then-shutdown option is there for those who want the machine powered off, but who don't care if it powers off immediately.  If you want to reboot, then you probably want it to be done rebooting ASAP.  Makes perfect sense to me anyway.
    Same here. The shutdown option is meant for if you're shutting down at the end of the day and won't be using the computer anymore. It gives you a "click it and forget it" way of updating and shutting down the machine, so you can walk away and restart it the next day and updates will be ready.

If you want to restart, just use the Windows Update option from the start menu to install the updates. It's not that hard, there's even an icon in the task bar notification area that lets you do it.

• User profile image
    OrigamiCar

Sven Groot said:
    BHpaddock said:
    *snip*
    Same here. The shutdown option is meant for if you're shutting down at the end of the day and won't be using the computer anymore. It gives you a "click it and forget it" way of updating and shutting down the machine, so you can walk away and restart it the next day and updates will be ready.

If you want to restart, just use the Windows Update option from the start menu to install the updates. It's not that hard, there's even an icon in the task bar notification area that lets you do it.
    Which is fine for desktops, but not so much for server installs where the updates have to be installed in a particular order - hence downloading TFS sp1 manually. They really should give the option of just installing the updates before the reboot instead of having to shut down the server then walk into the serverroom to power up the server again.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

OrigamiCar said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Which is fine for desktops, but not so much for server installs where the updates have to be installed in a particular order - hence downloading TFS sp1 manually. They really should give the option of just installing the updates before the reboot instead of having to shut down the server then walk into the serverroom to power up the server again.
    Why can't you install them from the Windows Update dialog? It does it in the exact same order as the install then shutdown option, so I don't see what your problem is. In fact, the Windows Update dialog gives you more control (you can uncheck updates if you want).

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.