Coffeehouse Thread

224 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

See it now - keynote live at microsoftpdc.com

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

That taskbar makes me all tingly. Or maybe it's just bad circulation Smiley

So does this mean that the new taskbar buttons will always be "grouped" so that any app with more than one window open will require two clicks to activate?

It sounded like tabs in IE would show up as separate thumbnails. It this an extensibility point that other apps can take advantage of? Will apps that use standard MDI APIs get automatic support?

It's good to see "show desktop" become a more integrated feature of the taskbar, and take good advantage of Fitts' law to boot. I assume gadgets are now actually part of the desktop and won't disappear when you "show desktop?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

DCMonkey said:

So does this mean that the new taskbar buttons will always be "grouped" so that any app with more than one window open will require two clicks to activate?

It sounded like tabs in IE would show up as separate thumbnails. It this an extensibility point that other apps can take advantage of? Will apps that use standard MDI APIs get automatic support?

It's good to see "show desktop" become a more integrated feature of the taskbar, and take good advantage of Fitts' law to boot. I assume gadgets are now actually part of the desktop and won't disappear when you "show desktop?

It's the age.

You can configure it to group/non group in several ways.
    It sounded like tabs in IE would show up as separate thumbnails. It this an extensibility point that other apps can take advantage of?

Yes.
    Will apps that use standard MDI APIs get automatic support?

Not sure.

Correct.

• User profile image
    Bas

PaoloM said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

Correct.
    How does the docking work? Does dragging a window partially offscreen always cause it to resize and dock to that part of the screen?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Bas said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    How does the docking work? Does dragging a window partially offscreen always cause it to resize and dock to that part of the screen?

On the sides. Dragging it on the top edge will maximize it.

And if you resize it from the top and hit the top edge of the monitor, it will keep the current width but expand the height to take the whole monitor (useful to read documents or web pages).

• User profile image
    Bas

PaoloM said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

On the sides. Dragging it on the top edge will maximize it.

And if you resize it from the top and hit the top edge of the monitor, it will keep the current width but expand the height to take the whole monitor (useful to read documents or web pages).

So placing a window partially offscreen isn't possible anymore?

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Bas said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    Is the drag to left or right to resize to 50% "permanent", or will it restore the original size if you drag it away from the side?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Bas said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    So placing a window partially offscreen isn't possible anymore?
    Yes you can. It's only when the cursor hits the edge that the snap takes place.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

DCMonkey said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Is the drag to left or right to resize to 50% "permanent", or will it restore the original size if you drag it away from the side?
    It will restore to the original size.

• User profile image
    Bas

PaoloM said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Yes you can. It's only when the cursor hits the edge that the snap takes place.
    Ah, perfect! Thanks.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

Perty!

• User profile image
    stevo_

Looks utterly amazing, the level of polish you've done already (presumably somewhat to demo it) is very exciting.. even just the little things that I was expecting from office 2007, like tiny 'fade' animations vs flicking switches.. it all makes such a difference.

• User profile image
    blowdart

stevo_ said:
    Looks utterly amazing, the level of polish you've done already (presumably somewhat to demo it) is very exciting.. even just the little things that I was expecting from office 2007, like tiny 'fade' animations vs flicking switches.. it all makes such a difference.
    Yea but aggregated search? Meh

*duck*

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Is Segoe UI still the main font, or is there a new one?

• User profile image
    blowdart

The orb no longer breaks out of the toolbar. Shame, I like it, it's subtle and groovy

• User profile image
    stevo_

blowdart said:
    The orb no longer breaks out of the toolbar. Shame, I like it, it's subtle and groovy
    I think it does if you have small icons on, but on the plus side - the orb glow looks really cool on 7..

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Word is a number of these new UI features aren't in the build being handed out at PDC.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

DCMonkey said:

Word is a number of these new UI features aren't in the build being handed out at PDC.

Only the new taskbar is not in the M3 builds.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.