Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7 64 bit - wireless N USB Network card - anyone got one working?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    OrigamiCar

Hi everyone,

I realise this is more a question for the Windows 7 forums, but I thought I'd throw it out here to the niners first.
    Has anyone managed to get Windows 7 64 bit version working with a wireless 'N' USB adaptor yet? If so, which adapter?

I've tried two different adapters here- a Dlink DWA130 and a Netgear WNDA1300, but neither of them work.
    Inserting either into the PC, instead of the usual USB connected sound, I get three dings instead and in device manager I'm seeing 'USB2.0 WLan' in Other Devices Tab.
    I've tried using the Microsoft Generic USB 802.11a/b/g/n driver that comes with Windows 7, but the thing just hangs when trying to install the driver. Microsoft also provide a driver for the D-Link DWA130 adaptor, but it's for the B revision not the A revision that I have and it doesn't work.

Darned annoying! So can anyone confirm any other USB N adapters that they have managed to get working?

I really hope Microsoft does more to get 64 bit supported in hardware drivers for Windows 7 - requiring a 64 bit driver in order to qualify for Windows Certification would be a good step if they haven't already thought of that...

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

I've never gotten a USB wireless network adapter to work on any 64-bit Windows - Windows 7 x64, Windows Vista x64, or Windows XP x64.

EDIT: or a USB wired network adapter either.

• User profile image
    jugatsu

I have used the Netgear WN111 v1 in both Vista x64 & 7 x64 without any problems. There's a v2 of that adapter available and Wal-Mart has them.

Do you mean Netgear WNDA3100? Have you tried v1.6 of the adapter software?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

USB networking hardware are the holy grail of crapware, I have never ever ever seen a reliable piece of USB networking hardware

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

i have a Linksys WUSB600N -- it works fine with Vista x64.

However, I have installed the current Windows 7 beta 3 times and each time the same exact thing has happened -- the wireless adapter works OK for a while then stops working.  Win 7 says that everything is OK, but it's not.

• User profile image
    androidi

D-Link 64-bit support is terrible for older products like DWA130 Rev A. The Rev B & C have 64 bit drivers on D-Link site.

To increase chance of getting the Rev A to work in 64-bit the first step is to find out the chip manufacturer by looking at the 32 bit drivers. It's Marvell. Turns out Marvell doesn't provide drivers directly for Wifi. So then you find someone who use same chip. Linksys. 

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=WUSB300N (the large zip file is the 64 bit I believe)

There you have Linksys 64 bit driver for the Marvell chip. I don't have these products but if you manually force install using device manager (tell it to find all/even incompatible stuff) then there's high chance that it works. I was in same situation and this same procedure did the trick.

• User profile image
    androidi

androidi said:
    D-Link 64-bit support is terrible for older products like DWA130 Rev A. The Rev B & C have 64 bit drivers on D-Link site.

To increase chance of getting the Rev A to work in 64-bit the first step is to find out the chip manufacturer by looking at the 32 bit drivers. It's Marvell. Turns out Marvell doesn't provide drivers directly for Wifi. So then you find someone who use same chip. Linksys. 

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=WUSB300N (the large zip file is the 64 bit I believe)

There you have Linksys 64 bit driver for the Marvell chip. I don't have these products but if you manually force install using device manager (tell it to find all/even incompatible stuff) then there's high chance that it works. I was in same situation and this same procedure did the trick.

To whine some more.

It is pretty annoying that while these USB sticks practically always have a SoC solution, there's separate driver downloads for D-Link, Linksys, Netgear etc even when they all use same chip from company X and the only difference between them is they just made their drivers not install if some string doesn't match. (and different logo in the plastic)

• User profile image
    OrigamiCar

androidi said:

BRILLIANT! That worked!

MANY thanks androidi - I would have never worked that one out.
    +1 brownie point for androidi Smiley

• User profile image
    Beatbuster

jugatsu said:
    I have used the Netgear WN111 v1 in both Vista x64 & 7 x64 without any problems. There's a v2 of that adapter available and Wal-Mart has them.

Do you mean Netgear WNDA3100? Have you tried v1.6 of the adapter software?

Jigatsu: can you please let me know which driver version you are using to get the wg111v1 to work in windows 7/64.

I tried:
    - the last version online at netgear (2004)
    - the version on my cd
    - the version designated for v2 (device properly installed, but not actually working)
    - the version designated for v3 (windows 7 crashes and won`t reboot - safe mode, de-install, works fine again)

I d really hate to have to go and buy a new wireless adapter just because I went from XP to Windows 7 (64bit)
    Thanks!

• User profile image
    n4cer

64-bit device drivers have been a Windows Logo Program requirement since it was revised for Vista.

I've been using this Encore adapter since Windows 7 was in Beta or RC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180053&cm_re=802.11n_usb-_-33-180-053-_-Product

It was around $17+shipping when I got it. It doesn't appear to be available for less than $40 now.

I use the chipset manufacturer's drivers (Ralink RT2870) - driver-only install, and have never had a problem on Windows 7 x64.

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

This AZIO adapter also uses a Ralink chipset and is currently $20.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833340014&cm_re=802.11n_usb-_-33-340-014-_-Product

@Beatbuster - The wg111v1 uses an Intersil PrismGT chipset. I could not find a Windows x64 driver for this chipset. The one on Netgear's site is 32-bit. The other versions of the wg111 use Realtek chipsets, (RTL8187L for v2, RTL8187B for v3) so their drivers won't work with your v1.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I had the Netgear WN111 v1 working (although my unit ended up being defective). I also have had success with the Rosewill RNX-N1.

• User profile image
    Dave Ef

I bought a Linksys USB300N and it installed and worked perfectly on Windows 7 Home Premium install on a five-year old Dell Dimension XPS 200 with 2G Ram and a early model dual core Intel CPU. 

The same unit did not work, however, on a Windows 7 Professional Edition.  The driver would not install.  Not sure what the issue is.

• User profile image
    petrosin

Dave Ef said:

I bought a Linksys USB300N and it installed and worked perfectly on Windows 7 Home Premium install on a five-year old Dell Dimension XPS 200 with 2G Ram and a early model dual core Intel CPU. 

The same unit did not work, however, on a Windows 7 Professional Edition.  The driver would not install.  Not sure what the issue is.

Dave Ef, do you the MSDN version of Windows 7 Pro? I have a similar problem with a Windows 7 Ultimate MSDN, my non-MSDN windows 7 pro works fine with both a Belkin and now a Linksys WUSB54gc adapter.

Tried reinstalling/installing and can't get the wireless driver to enable in the network adapter menu. Every time I try to enable it, it says, "enabling", "enabled" and then disabled.

I can't even turn off or turn on the computer with the adapter pluged in. It just stalls the machine. (thats the WUSB54GV)

• User profile image
    madduru

I  have resolved my issues in a simple and straight forward way by upgrading my motherboard BIOS. 

I have struggled with wireless connectivity ever since I have built my Windows 7 64 bit desktop with top of the line components (I have built mine around 1st week of December 2009). I have tried 4 different usb adapaters and none of them seem to work. I have tried all combinations of installing/reinstalling/restoring/downloading latest drivers etc etc. None of them worked. As a last resort I have updated my motherboard BIOS. Boom...I am able to connect my wireless adapter. 

So if you have exhausted all your options, please check with your motherboard manufacturer's web site to see whether there are any updated BIOS available. Make sure you flash BIOS properly otherwise (make sure you don't turn off the computer while the update is in progress etc. etc.)

In my case, I have Gigabyte P55 UD4P motherboard running Windows 7 64 bit.

Best wishes,

S Madduru

• User profile image
    Clint

I have a Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter which runs fine under Win7 x64

• User profile image
    Spent

Clint said:

I have a Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter which runs fine under Win7 x64

Clint,

I also have Linksys WUSB600N working in Win 7 X64 but what I find strange is I can't get it to work from all USB ports. It will only work from the first one I installed it on.  I've had such a hard time getting other compatible adapters to work that I don't want to mess with this and reinstall. Anyway, just wondering if you have or anyone else experienced this.

• User profile image
    DarkVVing

Spent said:
    Clint said:
    *snip*

Clint,

I also have Linksys WUSB600N working in Win 7 X64 but what I find strange is I can't get it to work from all USB ports. It will only work from the first one I installed it on.  I've had such a hard time getting other compatible adapters to work that I don't want to mess with this and reinstall. Anyway, just wondering if you have or anyone else experienced this.

Clint,

Thanks for sharing. I have spent the past several hours trying to get a WUSB600N to work (again) on a Windows 7 machine. After reading your comment on your adapter working on the first port it was installed on I tried each port on this machine until I came to one it started working in. Apparently it was the original port. All is working fine now. Thanks!!!

• User profile image
    Greenpig

*** Please note -After trying 3 different adaptors, and reading this complete thread, removing Kapersky security temporarily worked for me on my Windows 7 64 bit custom built desktop computer with a TP link wireless adaptor

On reflection this is old an problem (I have been working with computers for over 30 years). In the past, network companies used to insist that you uninstall all Network security before installation. It is funny that the same problems exists today, except that the Network supplies have forgotten( lower level of competence more likely) to give proper instructions specifically for Windows 7.

I am all for bashing Microsoft where it is justified and I feel there is a lot areas where it is, but in this case I level my complaint with the network hardware suppliers (who do not give detail instructions for Windows 7 ) Microsoft, is not off hook entirely, because I feel they fail miserably for not responding satisfactorily to communities like this. 

The future of the web lies with people who find a voice and lead with passion.

Gary 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.