Coffeehouse Thread

51 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Who wants to change the world?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

...well, the world of software dev.

Right now there's no implementation of 7zip for the managed world. There is a C# port of the LZMA algorithm for compressing streams but it isn't 7z compatible and has pitiful performance (6 min to compress 80MB when 7z does it in 30 seconds). The only alternatives include P/Invoking to the 7z DLLs or using ShellExecute.

7z is under a pretty liberal licensing scheme and is begging for a port over to C#. I can't do it all myself as it's a fairly large undertaking, I imagine a team of two or three people would be great, especially if you're a student like me who doesn't have much to do over the summer holiday until October.

I propose putting it on CodePlex and doing all dev there. Who'se with me?

This would also be my first true "team" software dev exercise; to anyone who might be interested: I can deflate my ego where necessary, I'm after a nice managed 7z library first, fame and glory second.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

I'd be interested in the design-side of things if anyone is ever interested in creating an actual compression/decompression application.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

brian.shapiro said:

I'd be interested in the design-side of things if anyone is ever interested in creating an actual compression/decompression application.

I'm interested...  I'll IM you if you're still on after I get done @ work.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I'm interested...Let me know what I can do. Email is paistss at hotmail dot com.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I might be interested. Mail me on:
    string.Format(
      CultureInfo.InvariantCulture,
      "{0}.{1}@telenet.{2}",
      myFirstName,
      myLastName,
      Belgium.CountryCode);

• User profile image
    figuerres

TommyCarlier said:

I might be interested. Mail me on:
    string.Format(
      CultureInfo.InvariantCulture,
      "{0}.{1}@telenet.{2}",
      myFirstName,
      myLastName,
      Belgium.CountryCode);

"I might be interested. Mail me on string.Format(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, "{0}.{1}@telenet.{2}", myFirstName, myLastName, Belgium.CountryCode);"

Big Smile

neat way to make it hard to web-scrape ....

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

figuerres said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

"I might be interested. Mail me on string.Format(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, "{0}.{1}@telenet.{2}", myFirstName, myLastName, Belgium.CountryCode);"

Big Smile

neat way to make it hard to web-scrape ....

It's also a test to see if W3bbo is worthy Wink

“But choose wisely, for while the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you.”

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

It's also a test to see if W3bbo is worthy Wink

“But choose wisely, for while the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you.”

Symbol "Belgium" undefined Smiley

• User profile image
    stevo_

W3bbo said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

Symbol "Belgium" undefined Smiley

Symbol? phht- been that long? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Dan

Love this idea, we'll pimp it out on This Week on Channel 9 next week to see if you can get more volunteers.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I'll gladly sacrifice a line of code for your endeavors W3bbo! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    littleguru

I thought 7zip provides a SDK that allows you to code against it in C#. At least there's a link for that on the website...

• User profile image
    longzheng

littleguru said:

I thought 7zip provides a SDK that allows you to code against it in C#. At least there's a link for that on the website...

http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

LZMA is the default and general compression method of 7z format in the 7-Zip program. LZMA provides a high compression ratio and very fast decompression, so it is very suitable for embedded applications. For example, it can be used for ROM (firmware) compressing.

LZMA SDK includes:

• C++ source code of LZMA Encoder and Decoder
    • ANSI-C compatible source code for LZMA decompression with example
    • C# source code for LZMA compression and decompression
    • Java source code for LZMA compression and decompression
    • Compiled file->file LZMA compression/decompression program for the Windows operating system

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I don't have much spare time to give, but I'm willing and able to help out in a minor role (review and test, perhaps?).

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru said:

As I said, the C# implementation is just the LZMA compression algorithm, not the whole 7z library, and it's very inefficient.

• User profile image
    stevo_

W3bbo said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

As I said, the C# implementation is just the LZMA compression algorithm, not the whole 7z library, and it's very inefficient.

What does the rest of the 7z library do then? surely the c# lzma impl atm just isn't well optimized?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

W3bbo said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

When you have created the Codeplex project, post the link here and I'll sign up.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

stevo_ said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

What does the rest of the 7z library do then? surely the c# lzma impl atm just isn't well optimized?

Archive management, for one thing; it also uses a different LZMA algorithm implementation (in addition to also supporting PPMd and BZip algos). The C# LZMA implementation is a straight port of the C version which is just as slow.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.