Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New iPhones overheating?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Have you seen this?

    Generic Forum Image

    Then you may be using your iPhone outside its recommended operating temperatures. Apple has put up a few handy hints to keep your iPhone from getting too flustered.

     

    Apple said:
    Some conditions and activities that may activate the Temperature warning message:

    • Leaving the device in a car on a hot day.
    • Leaving it in direct sunlight for extended amounts of time.
    • Using certain applications in hot conditions or direct sunlight for long periods of time, such as GPS tracking in a car on a sunny day or listening to music while in direct sunlight.

 

 

-----

"listening to music while in direct sunlight"?

More comments at the Guardian

 

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    Yeah I read about this. It's supposed to operate in an environment no hotter than 95F. Apparently Apple doesn't think people will use their phones outside in the summer.

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    spivonious said:

    Yeah I read about this. It's supposed to operate in an environment no hotter than 95F. Apparently Apple doesn't think people will use their phones outside in the summer.

    Yes, being unable to listen to music in direct sunlight would be a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

     

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    Ray7 said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

    Yes, being unable to listen to music in direct sunlight would be a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

     

    Then put it in your pocket?

     

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Reminds me of the old gameboys whose screen would go all wonky when left in the sun.

    Maybe Apple were trying to market this phone to vampires? They usually don't mind staying out of direct sunlight.

    I haven't seen this yet on my 3G, but we'll see what happens in the summer when temperatures in Tokyo often top 40 degrees.

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    ManipUni said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

    Then put it in your pocket?

     

    but then I can't see the music controls.

    And I have even been known to sit out in the park watching music videos.

     

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Sven Groot said:

    Reminds me of the old gameboys whose screen would go all wonky when left in the sun.

    Maybe Apple were trying to market this phone to vampires? They usually don't mind staying out of direct sunlight.

    I haven't seen this yet on my 3G, but we'll see what happens in the summer when temperatures in Tokyo often top 40 degrees.

    There have been reports of the white ones becoming discoloured, but no-one's sure if it's a wide spread problem, or just the internet echo chamber. Probably worth following Apple's recommendations though; you might be tested on them if you need to take it back.

     

     

  • User profile image
    rhm

    ManipUni said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

    Then put it in your pocket?

     

    Surely it's hotter in your pocket? I had my old HTC TyTN comprehensively fail due to being in my pocket on a hot day.  After it cooled down a bit and I removed and replaced the battery it recovered.

    Anyway, I've not seen the warning with my iPhone and it's been pretty hot here this week. Not darft enough to leave in my car though Smiley

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    rhm said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    Surely it's hotter in your pocket? I had my old HTC TyTN comprehensively fail due to being in my pocket on a hot day.  After it cooled down a bit and I removed and replaced the battery it recovered.

    Anyway, I've not seen the warning with my iPhone and it's been pretty hot here this week. Not darft enough to leave in my car though Smiley

    I wonder if that would depend on the colour of your trousers? If you're wearing light coloured pants then it might be cooler in your pocket; dark pants might be a problem.

    I'm just guessing though.

     

     

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    rhm said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    Surely it's hotter in your pocket? I had my old HTC TyTN comprehensively fail due to being in my pocket on a hot day.  After it cooled down a bit and I removed and replaced the battery it recovered.

    Anyway, I've not seen the warning with my iPhone and it's been pretty hot here this week. Not darft enough to leave in my car though Smiley

    "Don't listen to music in the sun".. if only there was an apple for apple, they would be ripping the living sh-t out of the crap they say..

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    stevo_ said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

    "Don't listen to music in the sun".. if only there was an apple for apple, they would be ripping the living sh-t out of the crap they say..

    All they have to do is brand 'listening to music in the refrigerator' as the new cool.

    The new Apple iIce – because sunlight is so yesterday.

     

     

     

     

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    Ray7 said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

    All they have to do is brand 'listening to music in the refrigerator' as the new cool.

    The new Apple iIce – because sunlight is so yesterday.

     

     

     

     

    I knew I would never be cool enough for an iPhone....

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Is c9 fucked?

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    stevo_ said:

    Is c9 fucked?

    aparently not.. just cant comment on the stock exchange thread..

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    stevo_ said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

    aparently not.. just cant comment on the stock exchange thread..

    C9 is always *ed.

    Anyway, dang my bro just bought the new one for his friend oversea. They are in for a big surprise.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bass

    magicalclick said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

    C9 is always *ed.

    Anyway, dang my bro just bought the new one for his friend oversea. They are in for a big surprise.

    Just a test

  • User profile image
    Bass

    fffff

  • User profile image
    Bass

    Bass said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

    Just a test

    test

    Edit: Hmm, seems to have been fixed?

     

  • Conversation locked

    This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.