Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Myst on Windows 7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

My son wants to run Myst on his Windows 7 Home Premium laptop.  I've got my doubt that it will work, but thought I should ask.  Can you install and run Myst on Windows 7 with no problems?

• User profile image
    Bryan Baldwin

In addition to operating system compatibility, you also have the problem of matching up the right video adaptor as well. If I were you, I would assume that Myst is ok on Windows 7 and check the rest of the system requirements first. Is your video adapter new enough, have enough video ram and main ram, cpu speed, etc etc? If those are okay and it still doesnt work, then you can suspect an OS incompatibility and troubleshoot from there.

• User profile image
    figuerres

well try it and see if it has any problems.

if it does there are several things you can do.

1) right click the icon and set it to "compatability mode"

if that does not work then

2) virtual pc / XP Mode

try native first and just see what happens.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Bryan Baldwin said:

In addition to operating system compatibility, you also have the problem of matching up the right video adaptor as well. If I were you, I would assume that Myst is ok on Windows 7 and check the rest of the system requirements first. Is your video adapter new enough, have enough video ram and main ram, cpu speed, etc etc? If those are okay and it still doesnt work, then you can suspect an OS incompatibility and troubleshoot from there.

What?  Myst is a *VERY OLD* game.... any vga card would be ok for it.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Well, which version of Myst? The original, the masterpiece edition, or the 10th anniversary masterpiece edition?

The original version was a 16 bit application, so running it on x64 is impossible. X86 might work, but I wouldn't have too much hope. It also depends on a 16 bit version of QuickTime (2.x I think) which may be harder to get working than Myst by itself.

The two masterpiece editions aren't that different (except for the installer used, which is I believe still 16 bit for the original masterpiece edition, and 32 bit for the 10th Anniversary). They might work, except that they depend on an old version of QuickTime and I don't believe they'll work with the newer ones. I know the 10th Anniversary version uses QuickTime 6, and will only work with QuickTime 6. So if you have a newer version of QuickTime you'll have to remove that and install QuickTime 6.

It's much easier to just forget about this and install Myst in a virtual machine. A VM with Windows XP should do (which you should have if you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, through XP Mode; just remember to disable the integration features while playing). If that's giving you trouble, try Windows 98 instead if you have it.

EDIT:

Myst in Windows 98 under Windows Virtual PC

That's how I do it. It's the 10th Anniversary masterpiece edition, but any of them should work fine this way. I would recommend either of the Masterpiece editions because they have much better graphics (the original is 8-bit paletted), and have a hint function built in which can save a lot of frustration. Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot said:

Well, which version of Myst? The original, the masterpiece edition, or the 10th anniversary masterpiece edition?

The original version was a 16 bit application, so running it on x64 is impossible. X86 might work, but I wouldn't have too much hope. It also depends on a 16 bit version of QuickTime (2.x I think) which may be harder to get working than Myst by itself.

The two masterpiece editions aren't that different (except for the installer used, which is I believe still 16 bit for the original masterpiece edition, and 32 bit for the 10th Anniversary). They might work, except that they depend on an old version of QuickTime and I don't believe they'll work with the newer ones. I know the 10th Anniversary version uses QuickTime 6, and will only work with QuickTime 6. So if you have a newer version of QuickTime you'll have to remove that and install QuickTime 6.

It's much easier to just forget about this and install Myst in a virtual machine. A VM with Windows XP should do (which you should have if you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, through XP Mode; just remember to disable the integration features while playing). If that's giving you trouble, try Windows 98 instead if you have it.

EDIT:

That's how I do it. It's the 10th Anniversary masterpiece edition, but any of them should work fine this way. I would recommend either of the Masterpiece editions because they have much better graphics (the original is 8-bit paletted), and have a hint function built in which can save a lot of frustration. Smiley

Man... Windows 98. Memories of a screen telling you that it is safe to switch off your computer now. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Sven Groot said:

EDIT:

The original Myst doesn't work well in XP, much less Vista or 7 (the ancient version of Quicktime doesn't agree with XP).  Run it in a Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 VM.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

littleguru said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Man... Windows 98. Memories of a screen telling you that it is safe to switch off your computer now. Big Smile

Only on a PC that doesn't support APM.  Computers from around the Windows 95 era on should be able to turn themselves off (if everything's working properly).

What's really fun--  I've personally seen the "Safe to turn off your computer" screen as late as Windows 2000 (it's a little prettier there) and it's there at least up until XP, just in case ACPI is missing or broken on a computer.

• User profile image
    spivonious

That game was fun, except for the stupid guess-and-check underground train part.

I could never get it running reliably on XP and never even attempted Vista/7.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

spivonious said:

That game was fun, except for the stupid guess-and-check underground train part.

I could never get it running reliably on XP and never even attempted Vista/7.

You don't need to do the underground train in the Selenitic Age by guessing. There's actually a sound-based clue in the Mechanical Age that links north, south, east and west each to a different sound. Every time the underground train stops, you'll hear one of these sounds telling you where to go.

Of course, if you go to Selenitic before Mechanical, you might never notice this. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.