Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Microsoft.com downloads really slow?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xenon101

Is it just me, my mates, my mates mates and their mates that are finding microsoft.com dreadfully slow to download from?

I grabbed Win2k3 Server R2 preview today and it downloaded at 3.0 KB/s for the first 2 attempts then on the 3rd it dl'd constantly at 248 KB/s (my net connection is capable of 4mbit so around 400 KB/s at least!).

And does anyone know why the servers are so slow these days? Windows update is a right pain at these speeds Sad

• User profile image
    gaelhatchue

Have you validated your copy of Windows?

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyValidate.aspx

Genuine Microsoft Software wrote:
    validating now will enable faster access to the Download Center in the future when validation may be required. After successful validation, a Microsoft Windows Download Key will be stored on your system for future use. Following the validation process, you'll be returned to your original page to obtain your requested download.

• User profile image
    Xenon101

Yes all my machines are validated however this shouldn't affect windows update anyway?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

You misread that.  "Fast access to the download center" doesn't mean you'll have a faster download, it means you'll get to the download quicker without having to go through the validation process.  If you're already validated, then there's no need to check for Genuine Windows.  If you're not validated yet, then you have to go through the validation screens, thus slowing down the time it takes to get to the download.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    androidi

The akamai crappy DNS load balancing often gives you the slowest possible mirror. With some "view source", nslookup and wget efforts it's possible to use the fastest mirror, but thats quite much trouble so only if downloading hundreds of megs I'll do that if the speed stinks.

• User profile image
    IDWMaster

androidi said:
    The akamai crappy DNS load balancing often gives you the slowest possible mirror. With some "view source", nslookup and wget efforts it's possible to use the fastest mirror, but thats quite much trouble so only if downloading hundreds of megs I'll do that if the speed stinks.

Same problem here on 7MB connection. It only goes at 173KBPS (with a 3GB file!)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.