Site Feedback Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New twist when pressing reply and not being signed in

Back to Forum: Site Feedback
  • User profile image
    stevo_

Previously this would cause a lot of loading, eventually two errors about a toolbar and after re-entering the thread would allow me to post.. however NOW.. and this may be random but I can replicate this fairly well:

Not signed in,
    Read 'The New Channel 9 Editor' in the coffee house,
    Goto page two,
    Scroll down to tommys post about it working in opera,
    Hit reply,
    Get redirected to live sign in,
    Click my account to sign in,
    Redirected back to .. !!?? .. random thread on channel 9.. for example, I just tried this and ended up here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/TechOff/252604-Cant-Register-a-dll-in-Vista-Home-Premium-registers-fine-in-XP/?CommentID={CommentID}&wa=wsignin1.0

Er, yea- caching issue?

• User profile image
    stevo_

I thought connect feedback sucked but at least they usually say something within a day, even if its by some auto response.. isn't a forum suposed to be a pretty active medium?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

I'm not really sure what is happening here... we pass the page you are on as a query string param to Live ID, and it sends you back to that page... so to end up a different page would *likely* mean we passed the wrong URL, but that is rather simple code (it just grabs the current URL) and it certainly doesn't seem to be happening all the time. I'll try to repro it myself a few times, but if you find out any more information (like it always happens with the same post, or something like that) just let us know.

And if anyone else is seeing this, please post here as well.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Duncanma said:

I'm not really sure what is happening here... we pass the page you are on as a query string param to Live ID, and it sends you back to that page... so to end up a different page would *likely* mean we passed the wrong URL, but that is rather simple code (it just grabs the current URL) and it certainly doesn't seem to be happening all the time. I'll try to repro it myself a few times, but if you find out any more information (like it always happens with the same post, or something like that) just let us know.

And if anyone else is seeing this, please post here as well.

I tried it again (those steps I gave repro every time for me), this time I opened fiddler to watch the traffic, the wreply parameter you pass to live signin is wrong, it isn't the current thread but is a random thread that I end up at in the end.

• User profile image
    stevo_

On the plus side the forums seem noticably more responsive- did you guys do something or is this just a placebo?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

stevo_ said:

On the plus side the forums seem noticably more responsive- did you guys do something or is this just a placebo?

So it repros everytime for me as well. I'll dig into this today.

Yes, we rewrote a lot of the data layer and moved to better sql hardware... between those two things, I am definitely seeing a perf improvement, thanks for noticing!

• User profile image
    Trading​Smiles

stevo_ said:

I thought connect feedback sucked but at least they usually say something within a day, even if its by some auto response.. isn't a forum suposed to be a pretty active medium?

Medium has the active forum or not.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.