Tech Off Thread

2 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Configuring DHCP Relay for RRAS on Windows Server 2008.

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Good morning, folks. I wonder if anyone could help me set up my Windows 2008 box, which I've been fiddling with. Doing this mostly blindly, since I never messed with this before.

I have a Windows 2008 server behind a router. My router is the DHCP server. I now want to enable VPN access into it. My router doesn't support it, so I opened all the necessary LL2P ports pointing at the server and installed Routing and Remote Access on the Windows server. I've also set up DHCP Relay pointing at the router's IP. My understanding is that when my remote client connects, the server will forward the DHCP request to the router, get an IP for me and let me start working.

What seems to be happening is that my remote client gets the same IP as the server, which naturally doesn't really help much.
    I tried giving RRAS a set of static IP addresses instead of DHCP Relay, but that gives me a default gateway and subnet mask that only allow me to access that specific subrange, not the rest of the local network.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• User profile image
    Fisco

Dear Yggdrasil,
    you must have a router which support DHCP Relay agent (RFC 1542). If you haven't it (or DHCP Relay agent have bad setting), you will receive the same IP adress as server when you connect via VPN.
    I have the same problem with router Linksys WRV200, but some cheap (wifi) routers such as Asus WL-520gP solve this problem (it support RFC 1542).
    DHCP Relay agent is a good feature when the server is down -> client computers have still acces to the internet (second DNS server serve clients if primary is on the server which fail), but DHCP server in Windows Server (first of all with NAP function) have more features such as scoopes, ect. I mean, that absolute ideal combination for SMB is server-core instance of WS2008 with DHCP and DNS services (as better router) and another server with classic AD DC services and next DNS (AD DC must have DNS) or/and other additional services. When the primary DNS (AD DC server) server failed, clients have backup in gateway (secondary DNS in core server-router) and at the same time you have full feature scoopes. Of course, core-server is normal PC/server machine with higher consumption.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.