Tech Off Thread

18 posts

How to shutdown from remote desktop connection?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

I remote to some computers over the network and need to reboot the computer at some times. Currently this necessitates a call to a local user. I know I can shutdown remotely, but haven't been able to set it up.
    The remote computer is XP PRo.

• User profile image
    Maurits

shutdown.exe came with the NT resource kit.  I haven't tried it against Windows XP Pro but it works against Windows 2000.

• User profile image
    databyte

Just like Maurits said, shutdown.exe

It does work on XP and actually any NT-based OS.

I use "shutdown -r -f" all the time.  R is to restart and F is to force shutdown.  Just in case some app is hanging and XP has already shutdown VNC/RDP to the point where you can't "End Task"

• User profile image
    Paulie

run Task-Manager on remote computer,
    there in menu Shutdown you can... well... shutdown

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Can't you just shutdown from the start menu? I do that all the time when remote desktopping to Win2k/Win2k3.

• User profile image
    qwert231

See, that's the thing. It isn't on the start menu. ANd when I go into Task Manager, I don't see it either.

• User profile image
    JFo

I always use tsshutdn.

start->run->cmd

tsshutdn 3 /reboot /delay:5

• User profile image
    jc1455

CTRL-ALT-END brings up task manager on the remote desktop (like CTRL-ALT-DEL does on the local one)  From there just click shutdown.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I've always had problems using Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager on the remote computer. I just right click on the taskbar, select Task Manager, and then from the Shut Down menu make my selection from there. It would be nice if you could configure Remote Desktop to replace the Disconnect option with Shut Down.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Or if you use VNC, Shift-Ctrl-Alt-Del passes a Ctrl-Alt-Del through

• User profile image
    ntpro

START > RUN > CMD

TSSHUTDN /REBOOT /V 01 or
    TSSHUTDN /REBOOT /SERVER:<servername> /V 01
    TSSHUTDN /?

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Start > Windows Security, click Shut Down...

If you've selected Classic Start Menu, Start > Settings > Windows Security..., click Shut Down...

• User profile image
    Malcolm Chalmers

I did it by getting a shutdown script from the TechNet scripting site ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx)
     and putting that on the desktop of the machine I'm controlling. When I want to shut that machine down, i just run that script.

• User profile image
    boii5

In Windows XP Professional, via Remote Desktop Connection:

START > Windows Security

The Windows Security dialog box appears. Click on the Shutdown button and select your desired option (Log Off, Restart, Shutdown, etc.)

• User profile image
    jon_potter

Click on the desktop and press Alt-F4.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jon_potter said:

In a somewhat related issue... when I've got a computer that's "resting" (locked out with the screen powered down due to inactivity, but not in standby) when I issue the shutdown /s /t 0 /m \\computerName command the computer begins the shutdown procedure, but doesn't actually shut itself down until the computer is brought back to life by moving the mouse or tapping on the keyboard.

Why is this?

• User profile image
    staceyw

jon_potter said:

"Click on the desktop and press Alt-F4."

Good tip.  Now if I can just burn that into my RAM.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

staceyw said:
    jon_potter said:
    *snip*

"Click on the desktop and press Alt-F4."

Good tip.  Now if I can just burn that into my RAM.

Ctrl-Alt-End will trigger a Ctrl-Alt-Del-ish looking screen in the Remote Desktop session.  This will have a power menu, from which you can choose "Shut down".

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.