Tech Off Thread

8 posts

XML Spreadsheet web page opens in IE, not Excel

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

We have a page that generates an XML spreadsheet for the user. 99% of the users have this open into Excel. But we have one user who sees it load directly in Internet Explorer. I'm sure it's some settings on her system, but I'm not sure where to look. I wasn't sure what to google on this.

• User profile image
    figuerres

what version of excel does that user have installed ?? what version do the others have?

also what versions of IE in each case?

• User profile image
    qwert231

figuerres said:

what version of excel does that user have installed ?? what version do the others have?

also what versions of IE in each case?

This system has:

IE 6 (6.0.2900 sp3)

Excel 2002 (10.6841.6845)

Most other systems have IE6 and either Excel 2002 or Excel 2007.

• User profile image
    qwert231

qwert231 said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

This system has:

IE 6 (6.0.2900 sp3)

Excel 2002 (10.6841.6845)

Most other systems have IE6 and either Excel 2002 or Excel 2007.

Still not sure how to handle this.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

qwert231 said:
    qwert231 said:
    *snip*

Still not sure how to handle this.

Why not just right click on the file -> open file with -> Excel -> Check Always Using Selected Program -> Ok?

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    qwert231

magicalclick said:
    qwert231 said:
    *snip*

Why not just right click on the file -> open file with -> Excel -> Check Always Using Selected Program -> Ok?

Hmm... because as mentioned in the first post, this is not a file... it is a url that generates an XML spreadsheet.

I tried to look up XML spreadsheet in File Types but it was not listed. I set XML Documents and XML Files to open in Excel, but the url still opens the page in IE. On my machine, when I go to the url, enter the parameters, and hit submit, I get a prompt 'Do you want to Open or Save 'filename.xls'?' And if I open it, it opens in Excel as 'filename.rails'.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

qwert231 said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

Hmm... because as mentioned in the first post, this is not a file... it is a url that generates an XML spreadsheet.

I tried to look up XML spreadsheet in File Types but it was not listed. I set XML Documents and XML Files to open in Excel, but the url still opens the page in IE. On my machine, when I go to the url, enter the parameters, and hit submit, I get a prompt 'Do you want to Open or Save 'filename.xls'?' And if I open it, it opens in Excel as 'filename.rails'.

If it works on all pc's except 1 than it probably means there is a problem with the installation. Try to repair the installation.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

qwert231 said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

You mean like sometimes you can open Excel or PDF using a IE add-on? Ask office team about how to turn off Office Add-on for IE. I am somewhat confused.

The proper senario should be? Open URL -> return a file.xls -> download box? If download box didn't come out, there much be a Office Add-on active in your IE. Normally that's like Office2000 or something.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.