Tech Off Thread

14 posts

After installing Win7, can't find coprocessor

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

Last weekend I installed Windows 7, by doing a wipe and load of my new PC.  (Its an HP Pavilion Elite desktop, with a quad-core AMD processor.)  After the install everything seems to be OK.  However, when I go into the Device Manager I notice that there is something there labeled "Other" and under that "Coprocessor".  Windows 7 cannot find a device driver for it and therefore whatever it is, it isn't working.

So, what is this?  Could it be the math coprocessor?  Why would Windows 7 need a device driver for a math coprocessor?

• User profile image
    qwert231

Coprocessors are old technology, you should remove it from your system. Either pull it out of the coprocessor socket, or cut it off the main chip (depending on your system).

(And just in case, yes, this is meant to be funny.)

• User profile image
    figuerres

what other hardware is on that pc?  a "CO Processor" could mean any number of other bits they might have put on that mo-bo.

any thing on that machine like a GPU or a tv tuner etc.... ??

you can try and see if the device shows a PCI / PNP id number - if it does there are some online databases you can search to find out what it might be.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Visit WindowsUpdate regularly, maybe the driver will show up.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

figuerres said:

what other hardware is on that pc?  a "CO Processor" could mean any number of other bits they might have put on that mo-bo.

any thing on that machine like a GPU or a tv tuner etc.... ??

you can try and see if the device shows a PCI / PNP id number - if it does there are some online databases you can search to find out what it might be.

Yes, there is a TV tuner in it.  I've not tested it, so I don't know if it works or not.

How do I determine if the device shows a PCI / PNP id?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Doctor Who said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Yes, there is a TV tuner in it.  I've not tested it, so I don't know if it works or not.

How do I determine if the device shows a PCI / PNP id?

in device manager right-click properties, go to the details tab.

that may list some info if it does look at \VEN_####&DEV_#### ......

if that is shown under hardware ids then

VEN == vendore ID

DEV == device id

if you get them then  go to:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

and use the form to see who made it and what it seems to be.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

figuerres said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

in device manager right-click properties, go to the details tab.

that may list some info if it does look at \VEN_####&DEV_#### ......

if that is shown under hardware ids then

VEN == vendore ID

DEV == device id

if you get them then  go to:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

and use the form to see who made it and what it seems to be.

That website (www.pcidatabase.com) is very helpful.  I've found the vendor, and it looks like it is NVIDIA.  (Hexidecimal value 10DE.)  But I cannot find the device associated with the device ID.

However, before I did the wipe and load, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it listed 2 NVIDIA devices.  I've found both of them in Device Manager, and they both are running fine.  So, what does this mean?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Doctor Who said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

That website (www.pcidatabase.com) is very helpful.  I've found the vendor, and it looks like it is NVIDIA.  (Hexidecimal value 10DE.)  But I cannot find the device associated with the device ID.

However, before I did the wipe and load, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it listed 2 NVIDIA devices.  I've found both of them in Device Manager, and they both are running fine.  So, what does this mean?

Hmmm  possibly you have the hardware for

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0814.html

PhysX - a co-proessor for games to compute real world movement / gravitiy etc...

check on the hardware - what mobo you have ... is it an N-force one?

what video hardware? chipset?

or possibly a mis read by windows?

try removing that device and then re-starting see what happens.

• User profile image
    spivonious

figuerres said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

PhysX - a co-proessor for games to compute real world movement / gravitiy etc...

If it is a PhysX processor, then installing the latest Nvidia drivers should install a driver for it.

• User profile image
    figuerres

spivonious said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

If it is a PhysX processor, then installing the latest Nvidia drivers should install a driver for it.

yeah just trying to guess at what he has... if the wrong drivers go installed or if a device was mis-id during the first setup.

might be a mis-id and removing it from device manager and re-boot might sort it out.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

figuerres said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

What "mobo" do I have?  I'm sorry, I've no idea what you're talking about.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Doctor Who said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Go to http://www.nvidia.com

Click the Download Drivers link

Check option 2 for motherboard drivers and video card drivers. An ActiveX control will check if your drivers are installed and up-to-date.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Doctor Who said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Sorry - Geek Slang "MoBo" is "Mother Board"  the main circuit board that the CPU and Memory attach to along with other bits you have to have for a pc to be much good.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

ZippyV said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

Go to http://www.nvidia.com

Click the Download Drivers link

Check option 2 for motherboard drivers and video card drivers. An ActiveX control will check if your drivers are installed and up-to-date.

Thank you, ZippV, going to NVIDIA's website, having it installed the ActiveX control and determine what motherboard drivers needed to be installed did the trick.  (I also checked video drivers, but it said I was up to date on that.)  I've installed the motherboard drivers, and something optional called NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager.  Since it came from NVIDIA I decided to go ahead, download and install it, but I've no idea what it is, if I need it or if I want it.  Has anyone here heard of it?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.