Tech Off Thread

6 posts

A question on Anytime Upgrade windows 7 pro to Ultimate

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Green85

Hi guys, I have a computer here that has windows 7 pro and I may upgrade it to Ultimate. My question is that if I do the Upgrade is the professional key is lost (I cant use it any more) or I can activate another computer with it?

I forget to mention that both editions are retail packages.

And thank you.

• User profile image
    AndyC

With Anytime Upgrade you are only paying to convert your existing licence to Ultimate, so you can't then go and install on another computer using your old key.

• User profile image
    figuerres

WHy upgrade?  Pro is good unless you want like 2 things that are not in Pro.

IMHO Ultimate Ed is just Bling.

• User profile image
    spivonious

figuerres said:

WHy upgrade?  Pro is good unless you want like 2 things that are not in Pro.

IMHO Ultimate Ed is just Bling.

Exactly. What does Ultimate get you over Pro? Bitlocker encryption, booting from a VHD, and language packs. If you don't need those, forget about Ultimate.

Here's a good comparison of the versions: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

• User profile image
    jpevans

AndyC said:

With Anytime Upgrade you are only paying to convert your existing licence to Ultimate, so you can't then go and install on another computer using your old key.

I have an MSDN subscription through Bizspark. Can I use one of my Windows 7 Ultimate keys in subscriber downloads in Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate?

• User profile image
    blowdart

jpevans said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

I have an MSDN subscription through Bizspark. Can I use one of my Windows 7 Ultimate keys in subscriber downloads in Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate?

The licensing for MSDN says the software is "to design, develop, test and demonstrate your programs", not for everyday use. If your machine is limited to that scope and isn't used for anything else then the MSDN keys will work with an anytime upgrade.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.