Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

System.Web.Extensions 3.5 vs 1.0.6 issues

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

I added the Ajax Control Toolkit and then an AutoExtender to my application. Now when I build, I get this message:

Indirect reference is being made to assembly System.Web.Extensions version 3.5.0.0, which contains 'AjaxControlToolkit.AutoCompleteExtender'. This Project references a prior version of System.Web.Extensions version 1.0.61025.0. To use 'AjaxControlToolkit.AutoCompleteExtender', you must replace the reference to System.Web.Extensions with version 3.5.0.0 or higher.

I also get this:

Element 'AutoCompleteExtender' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a compilation error in the Web site.

which is probably a result of the compilation error above.

I have these DLLs in my project's bin folder:

AjaxControlTookit.dll ver. 3.0.31106.0

System.Web.Ajax.dll ver. 3.0.31106.0

System.Web.Extensions.dll ver. 1.0.61025.61025

In my app.config I have this:

<configSections>
      <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">
       <sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">
        <section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
        <sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">
         <section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>
         <section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
         <section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
        </sectionGroup>
       </sectionGroup>
      </sectionGroup>
      <section name="activerecord" type="Castle.ActiveRecord.Framework.Config.ActiveRecordSectionHandler, Castle.ActiveRecord"/>
      <section name="monorail" type="Castle.MonoRail.Framework.Configuration.MonoRailSectionHandler, Castle.MonoRail.Framework"/>
     </configSections>
        <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

I was looking for a newer version of System.Web.Extensions. What is the difference between Web.Extensions and AjaxControlToolkit?

• User profile image
    qwert231

Hmm... is this so simple that I should see the answer myself? Or so unique that nobody else has run into this?

Yes, I have googled it. No, I didn't find an answer.

I don't know if I have the right PublicKeyTokens but I don't know where to find those. (I've tried googling them.)

• User profile image
    figuerres

qwert231 said:

Hmm... is this so simple that I should see the answer myself? Or so unique that nobody else has run into this?

I don't know if I have the right PublicKeyTokens but I don't know where to find those. (I've tried googling them.)

I think that you have the ajax bits from before the 3.5 framework.

in 3.5 they made (I think) all ofthe core ajax stuff part of the 3.5 install.

I don't recall right now if the toolkit is still valid or totaly replaced as of .net 3.5

as you have different bits trying to mix it's not working...  make a new web and check the web config and fix the config.

• User profile image
    qwert231

figuerres said:
    qwert231 said:
    *snip*

I don't recall right now if the toolkit is still valid or totaly replaced as of .net 3.5

as you have different bits trying to mix it's not working...  make a new web and check the web config and fix the config.

Perhaps, but this is an ASP .Net 2.0 project. I'm working in VS 2005. I haven't updated yet, because some of the site is written using Monorail, and doesn't migrate to 3.5 very well. Untill I get all that working, I can't do 3.5... so just to get this little bit working is all I'm after.

• User profile image
    qwert231

figuerres said:
    qwert231 said:
    *snip*

How can I get System.Web.Extensions 3.5 installed into the GAC?

I have VS2008 installed.

I'm using VS2005 for this project.

• User profile image
    qwert231

qwert231 said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

I have VS2008 installed.

Okay, I realized 3.5 was in the GAC, I just had to go into the project's references and point at that.

Now, when I go to compile the project, I get the message 'There were errors', but they are not listed in the Error List.

When I look at the Output window, I see this:

------ Build started: Project: C:\Projects\IntranetApps\, Configuration: Debug .NET ------

Validating Web Site

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\BasePage.vb(264,0): warning BC42105: Function 'FormatDate' doesn't return a value on all code paths. A null reference exception could occur at run time when the result is used.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\FeedStats.vb(19,0): error BC30560: 'ScriptServiceAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Web.Script.Services'.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\PFBCUpdatePanel.vb(12,0): error BC30560: 'UpdatePanel' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Web.UI'.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\PFBCUpdatePanel.vb(31,0): error BC30560: 'UpdatePanelRenderMode' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Web.UI'.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\PFBCUpdatePanel.vb(35,0): error BC30560: 'UpdatePanelRenderMode' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Web.UI'.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\PFBCUpdatePanel.vb(51,0): error BC30284: sub 'RenderChildren' cannot be declared 'Overrides' because it does not override a sub in a base class.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\PFBCUpdatePanel.vb(52,0): error BC30451: Name 'IsInPartialRendering' is not declared.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\PFBCUpdatePanel.vb(62,0): error BC30451: Name 'ClientID' is not declared.

C:\Projects\IntranetApps\App_Code\PFBCUpdatePanel.vb(67,0): error BC30451: Name 'Controls' is not declared.

Validation Complete

========== Build: 4 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Any thoughts?

• User profile image
    figuerres

qwert231 said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

I have VS2008 installed.

why the heck use 2005 when you have 2008 ?

2005 - does it even support the 3.5 bindings?  does it have the right build scripts?

just use 2008 and stop trying to get all creative with stuff.

• User profile image
    Harifajri

qwert231 said:

i've the same problem last week,

solution : you must install web.extesion for .net framework 2.0,

download ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi on http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=75350

this will solve your problem. 

• User profile image
    HolmesSPH

This solution worked for me as well.. Thank you

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.