Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why can't anyone else access my website in IIS on Windows 7?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

I've got an ASP.NET application that I have in IIS on my Windows 7 Ultimate machine.  I've tested it from that machine and it works fine.  This machine is in my home network, a simple peer-to-peer network.  The strange thing is that no one else in my network can access that website.  Why is that?  There are other Windows 7 machines here, and they're all in the same homegroup.  When I attempt to access the website on my machine from one of the other machines, it fails and that's it.

So, what's wrong?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

• What are the Bindings for that particular IIS Website?
    • Are the ports corresponding to that website allowed through on your Firewall?
    • You're not exceeding the 10-connections limit?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I always like to start off as simple as possible. Create an index/default page with "Hello World" and verify that this can been seen from other terminals. This willl isolate the issue to either being network related, or your website. To simplyfy things, just switch your firewall off.

Also can the other peer machines view shares etc. on you machine without problems?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

vesuvius said:

I always like to start off as simple as possible. Create an index/default page with "Hello World" and verify that this can been seen from other terminals. This willl isolate the issue to either being network related, or your website. To simplyfy things, just switch your firewall off.

Also can the other peer machines view shares etc. on you machine without problems?

G'point, also check NTFS and other permissions. If you've not got Anonymous Authentication enabled and set-up then you're going to run into problems.

When you say "it fails" what kind of failure is it? TCP timeout? HTTP timeout? Some HTTP error?

Use "Live HTTP Headers" in Firefox or Fiddler and it should give you more details if the cause isn't immediately obvious.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

W3bbo said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

G'point, also check NTFS and other permissions. If you've not got Anonymous Authentication enabled and set-up then you're going to run into problems.

When you say "it fails" what kind of failure is it? TCP timeout? HTTP timeout? Some HTTP error?

Use "Live HTTP Headers" in Firefox or Fiddler and it should give you more details if the cause isn't immediately obvious.

It's probably the firewall and the 10 connections limit is gone.

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

IIS 7 on Server 2008 uses different security settings on files than IIS6 did.you may need to make sure the right acl's are applied.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

vesuvius said:

That was a good idea.  I decided to make a simple default.html file with "Hello World".  Then I tried to see it on my machine, and that failed.  The error I got was:

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Error Code 0x80070005
    Config Error Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions

So, this is a different issue.  In this case I was using Expression Web.  I'll try making a VS 2008 ASP.NET simple web app and see what I get.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

Doctor Who said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

That was a good idea.  I decided to make a simple default.html file with "Hello World".  Then I tried to see it on my machine, and that failed.  The error I got was:

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Error Code 0x80070005

So, this is a different issue.  In this case I was using Expression Web.  I'll try making a VS 2008 ASP.NET simple web app and see what I get.

OK, I just finished creating a simple ASP.NET app on my PC.  I got rid of the Default.aspx page/file and created a index.htm file.  All I put it in was "Hello World".  I tested it on my PC and it came up fine.  Then I went to one other machine on my home network and tried it, and I got the same error/problem.  What I'm getting is it just times out.  It tries to connect to the website for maybe a minute or so, and then it just quits.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

Doctor Who said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

OK, I just finished creating a simple ASP.NET app on my PC.  I got rid of the Default.aspx page/file and created a index.htm file.  All I put it in was "Hello World".  I tested it on my PC and it came up fine.  Then I went to one other machine on my home network and tried it, and I got the same error/problem.  What I'm getting is it just times out.  It tries to connect to the website for maybe a minute or so, and then it just quits.

I just tried something different.  I've got VIPRE as my anti-virus software.  I disabled it and tried accessing the website from one of the other machines.  It still failed, timing out trying to reach the website.  Now, maybe I did the wrong thing, but I thought that VIPRE would be my firewall.

• User profile image
    cheong

Doctor Who said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Error Code 0x80070005

Apparently your website have both "Anomymous access" and "Windows Intergrated Authentication" turned on.

When you visit the website at local computer, you're accessing it as a local user (assumably one of the Administrators), so the server process reads the configuration files fine.

When you visit the website at other computers, you're accessing it as "IUSR_<machine name>" and "Network Service", so the web server cannot read the file and gives HTTP 500 errors.

Granting "Read" permission for both users for your web application folder and you should be fine.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.