Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Why does Windows 7 sometimes take so long to log in?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

Today I was working on my finances, and had to leave because of an emergency.  I logged off of Windows 7, but left the computer logged on.  3 hours later, after the emergency was resolved, I returned and tried to log in to resume my work.  I entered my password on the Windows 7 login screen at 6:55 PM....

... 11 minutes later, at 7:06 PM absolutely nothing was happening!  Why in hell does Windows 7 sometimes take so damn long to log on?  This PC is less than a year old.  It has about 80% disk free on the C: drive.  What's going on?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Is this PC part of a domain? I've seen this kind of thing happen when it's waiting for the DC or something. Alternatelively, a service could be holding up the startup.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

Sven Groot said:

Is this PC part of a domain? I've seen this kind of thing happen when it's waiting for the DC or something. Alternatelively, a service could be holding up the startup.

Very good question, and thank you for your response.  No, my PC isn't a member of an AD domain.  This is a simple peer-to-peer network.  And I've noticed that a similar thing seems to be going on with other PCs at my home.  My wife's PC, also a Windows 7 machine, was locking itself up as well, doing notihng at all.  We had to hard boot it, because it wasn't unresponsive.  I'm wondering if this has anything to do with one of the updates released this week my Microsoft in the long list of updates they released?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Doctor Who said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Very good question, and thank you for your response.  No, my PC isn't a member of an AD domain.  This is a simple peer-to-peer network.  And I've noticed that a similar thing seems to be going on with other PCs at my home.  My wife's PC, also a Windows 7 machine, was locking itself up as well, doing notihng at all.  We had to hard boot it, because it wasn't unresponsive.  I'm wondering if this has anything to do with one of the updates released this week my Microsoft in the long list of updates they released?

Open the Event Viewer, there might be something there.

• User profile image
    Maj

Generally Microsoft Windows have lot of unknown problems that even they dont know.

anyway Try following steps may be you got any results:

- Hit  the sleep button

- Hit the wakeup button

- login

lets c wat happen I m not sure it will work at your end but work for me couple of times.

• User profile image
    Ms Smith

As you can't login Windows 7 operating system, the only thing you can do is making a Windows password recovery disk and using the disk to recover your Windows password, and then you need:
    1> a blank CD disk or USB flash drive.
    2> a computer that can download from Internet .
    3> a program that can recover Windows password.
    However,there are many software available and you don't know which is better,If that,I suggest you some good software both me and my friends always use:

Windows Password Key:It is considered as the best tool to reset local administrator and user passwords on any Windows system.You can get more from lostwindowspassword.com

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

W3bbo said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

Open the Event Viewer, there might be something there.

I've looked into the event log and the only thing I could find there was this:

The winlogon notification subscriber took 428 second(s) to handle the notification event (Logon).

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

Maj said:

Generally Microsoft Windows have lot of unknown problems that even they dont know.

anyway Try following steps may be you got any results:

- Hit  the sleep button

- Hit the wakeup button

- login

lets c wat happen I m not sure it will work at your end but work for me couple of times.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by the sleep, or wake buttons. 

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Doctor Who said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I've looked into the event log and the only thing I could find there was this:

The winlogon notification subscriber took 428 second(s) to handle the notification event (Logon).

That's the culprit.

Run Autoruns and check for anything dodgy under the Winlogon tab.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.