Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Task Scheduler crashes on Boot (Vista)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Massif

Task Scheduler keeps dying, every time I turn on my laptop the Task Scheduler process gets killed by Data Execution Prevention.

(Running Vista 32 bit, on an Asus r1f, just for the extras.)

I've been through the scheduled tasks, and (I think) eliminated all the user-specified ones, leaving just the Microsoft tasks. (defrag / sync etc...)

Any ideas as to how I can find out which specific task is causing the problem? I don't remember it happening when Vista first went on, so I know it's something I've installed. But I've only installed drivers for WiFi , FingerPrint scanner and touchpad (and ATK100 whatever that is, something to do with the built-in keys and screen rotating.)

Thanks.

edit: I realised that was the least helpful subject of all time, so I've fixed it to be descriptive.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Is there anything more specific in Event Viewer? Any references to an error code or just the DEP is taking it down?

• User profile image
    Massif

If memory serves the only message is that DEP has shut it down. I don't have the machine in front of me to check though... I'll have a check when I get home.

• User profile image
    Massif

Well, I've gone back and had a look - after a busy weekend.

The message is simply "stopped working" on the task scheduler engine. Which is slightly less than helpful.

Is there any way to determine what task the scheduler was running before it failed? Or is this likely to be a fault with the scheduler itself?

• User profile image
    cheong

Is there any minidump you can check for?

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

No such luck, although the Task Scheduler does handily say which tasks succeeded and which failed... With a little bit of comparing of boot times and these numbers I've managed to pinpoint the task which is causing the failure.

It's called NAPStatus UI, and I think it's an MS component. I think NAP stands for Network Access Protection, so my question is now is this a problem with OneCare (which I have installed, and I'm starting to really dislike for constantly giving me updates on the network status.) or is it another windows component?

Any one who's heard of it care to comment?

• User profile image
    longzheng

I have exactly the same problem (on my Toshiba Portege M400), but it had magically fixed itself a few weeks ago. Now, it's back.

I think a specific Windows Update is causing the issue, since that's all I've been installing in the last few days.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Massif wrote:
    No such luck, although the Task Scheduler does handily say which tasks succeeded and which failed... With a little bit of comparing of boot times and these numbers I've managed to pinpoint the task which is causing the failure.

It's called NAPStatus UI, and I think it's an MS component. I think NAP stands for Network Access Protection, so my question is now is this a problem with OneCare (which I have installed, and I'm starting to really dislike for constantly giving me updates on the network status.) or is it another windows component?

Any one who's heard of it care to comment?

NAP does stand for Network Access Protection.  Here's the Technet page:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/nap/default.mspx

From reading about it on these pages, I'd say that you can safely disable the task if it's giving you trouble (and you don't need it).  NAP is a new policy enforcement platform (like Cisco's Network Admission Control or Clean Access) in Vista and Server Longhorn--  if you aren't using it, then disabling it shouldn't hurt anything.

• User profile image
    poe

I have the same problem on my Fujitsu T4215.  I think it is a Tablet PC problem since I found what causes the problem.  Every time when my PC is in Tablet mode and if it goes to sleep or hibernate, when it wake s up, the issue will happen.  Every time!!!  The scheduler engine stops working and even I reboot it how many times, it stays the same.  The only way I can do is use the restore function to put it back to the previous status.  But today I found the other way to cause this problem, I plug in an ext monitor and after I finish using it, i unplug it.  The error message shows again.  The same error.
    Also, when the scheduler engine crashes, my language bar disappear.  I can't type Chinese on my computer anymore.  I haven't found any solution on that... Any one can help?

• User profile image
    Fagus

I agree with longzheng. Its one of the updates causing it. I only just put a fresh 32 bit copy(VISTA Home Premium) on one of my pcs and all i have done is run the update where it installed 33 updates at once and since the reboot ive had this error as well.

• User profile image
    poledeng

hi,

I met this problem and google led me to this thread. And now it seems somehow I've solved this problem when I turned off the DEP by typing in "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" into command prompt as administrator. Also this can get rid off the crashes of IE.

• User profile image
    redboyke

poledeng said:
    hi,

I met this problem and google led me to this thread. And now it seems somehow I've solved this problem when I turned off the DEP by typing in "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" into command prompt as administrator. Also this can get rid off the crashes of IE.

i got same problem:

i know im bumping a 2 year old thread but is there any solution to it?

running vista(32) premium (Dutch)

windows update shows that im up to date and that there are no available updates.

here is the error:

Taakplanner-engine werkt niet meer

Probleemhandtekening:
      Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem:    APPCRASH
      Naam van de toepassing:    taskeng.exe
      Versie van toepassing:    6.0.6002.18005
      Tijdstempel van toepassing:    49e01bf2
      Naam van foutmodule:    StackHash_fd00
      Versie van foutmodule:    0.0.0.0
      Tijdstempel van foutmodule:    00000000
      Uitzonderingscode:    c0000005
      Uitzonderingsmarge:    470222cf
      Versie van besturingssysteem:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
      Landinstelling-id:    2067
      Aanvullende informatie 1:    fd00
      Aanvullende informatie 2:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
      Aanvullende informatie 3:    fd00
      Aanvullende informatie 4:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.